May 2, 2010
On April 30, 2010, the AMC Movie Blog posted their choices for The Five Best Movies of Sylvester Stallone. Here are their choices and a little of the rationale for selection:
5. Demolition Man: …Nothing about this movie should work — dated jokes about Taco Bell, a ridiculous time-travel setup — but it work it does, from start to finish. Credit Stallone’s amusing fish-out-of-water performance…
4. Cliffhanger: …Die Hard on a mountain, Cliffhanger is as cool as it sounds… Stallone reminds us why he’s one of the best action stars ever. He radiates intensity.
3. Copland: …Stallone turned his career around with this serious (and underappreciated) drama…
2. Rambo: No. We’re not talking about the original — that’s First Blood. We’re not even talking about Rambo: First Blood II, the sequel. While we love those both, this bare-bones, bloody action film ranks as one of the best flicks in years..
1. Rocky: Not just Stallone’s best but also one of Hollywood’s best…
If I were making the list Rocky Balboa would have been near the top forcing Demolition Man off the list. And while it may not be one of Sly’s Top 5 best, Get Carter still is one of my favorites. To see AMC’s whole post with all of their comments as well as some Stallone movies that nearly made it to the Top 5, then click here.
January 10, 2010
On January 8, 2010, High Def Disc News reviewed the “Cliffhanger” Blu-Ray calling it a “solid release” and rating the movie 4 1/2 out of 5 stars! You can read the whole review here and even purchase the “Cliffhanger” Blu-Ray here.
October 1, 2009
On October 1, 2009, Empire, posted “Stallone on Death Wish Remake plus Cliffhanger Remake and Poe Biopic”. Here’s a bit of what Sly had to say:
- On a “Death Wish” remake: “I’m thinking about it… It’s a classic morality tale, where you take a civilised man and take away everything that matters to him so he becomes primitive again.”
- On “Poe”: “I keep telling my producer Avi Lerner, ‘Make Edgar Allan Poe!’ He says, ‘Does he have a gun?’ ‘No, he doesn’t have a gun’, ‘Can he throw a knife?’ I say, ‘No, he writes poetry!’
- Will Sly play Poe?: “Of course, I’m not playing Poe. ‘Yo, Poe!’ It won’t work! It’ll be some young actor because he dies at 39, but it’s gonna happen.”
- On a proposed “Cliffhanger” sequel: ”I hear they’re gonna remake it… You know you’ve been around when they start to remake your own movies when you’re still alive.”
You can read the full article here. [Gerardo Moreno made the teaser photo which first appeared on the StalloneZone here.]
August 3, 2009
Will Sly return to the role of Gabe Walker for “Cliffhanger 2″? There’s renewed speculation that it could become a reality. Alex Billington of FirstShowing.net attended a screening of the 1987 cult classic “Monster Squad” and in attendance were the film’s writer, Shane Black and director, Fred Dekker. During the Q&A session, Dekker said he was currently working on the screenplay to “Cliffhanger 2″. Unfortunately, Dekker didn’t elaborate on the screenplay, so we don’t know much else.
“Cliffhanger 2″ could be written as a starring vehicle for Sly, it could be written as a reboot with a cameo by Stallone, or even with totally new characters. One of the things that was shocking about the original was that it opened with a failed rescue and what could have been a major character died. They wouldn’t kill off Gabe in the opening would they? Of couse, that, like most everything else in FirstShowing.net’s post and SlashFilm.com’s follow up is pure speculation.