Sly and the Family Stallone News for the Week…
The Sun reported this morning that Jackie Stallone [Sly’s mom] was hospitalized after suffering a heart attack. Jackie’s husband, Dr Stephen Levine was quoted saying “She’s stable right now and recovering. She will probably have an angioplasty operation next week.”
Our thoughts and prayers are for a speedy recovery.
On July 28, 2011, The Miami Herald ran Stallone GLOWs with Pride: Women’s Wrestling Can Work by Jim Varsallone. Here are some tidbits from the piece:
- [Jackie] Stallone is not only the mother of famous sons, Frank and Sylvester, but also the matriarch of Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling.
- GLOW, a campy weekly women’s wrestling show, ran successfully through syndication from 1986-90. Colorful characters, beautiful women and over-the-top comedy sketches were integral to its success. Most of the performers were actresses, models, dancers or stunt women hoping to break into show business through wrestling.
- “I put it together, the shows, the training, the choreography, everything,” Stallone said in a recent phone interview, “Everyone wants to take part in it still, and I still stay in touch with many of the girls. They always ask me, ‘Can’t we do it again?’ I don’t have the money to start it again nor the time. It was my whole life, a full-time job, 24 hours a day, but I loved it.”
- Stallone also named some of the GLOW girls. She had some help… “I think Sylvester came up with Matilda The Hun,” she said. “Everyone in the family and everyone with GLOW contributed to its success.
JoBlo.com recently posted a piece about Sly in Brazil scouting locations and talking with Juliana Paes for a potential role in “The Expendables.” Did you happen to check out JoBlo’s source for the item? – Craig
By hellomagazine.com hellomagazine.com – Thursday, May 22 02:03 pm
Jackie Stallone, the mother of Rocky star Sylvester, has been made a Dame of the Order of St Stanislaus at an elaborate ceremony in Kiev.
Currently visiting her grandparents’ native Ukraine, the former trapeze artist turned American astrologer, was presented the medal in recognition of her concern for the wellbeing of others.
During her stay she also visited a children’s home in Odessa, where she took the opportunity to underline the importance of hope in the lives of all youngsters.
“A vivid example is my son Sylvester, who was a difficult child,” she said frankly. “He seemed a hopeless boy but he has managed to build a proper future.”
For the original article, click HERE. – Craig
The March 8, 2004 issue of US Weekly features the above picture in a piece called “Stars’ Most Embarrasing Parents.” Along with Sly, the parents of Mel Gibson, Drew Barrymore, Brittney Spears and others are featured!
– Craig Zablo
Our POW [Picture of the Week] this week is a shot of Sly and Jackie Stallone sent in to us by Javier Garrido.. – Craig
Ernest “Jazzman” Resendes girlfriend found this ad in the April 2002 issue of Cosmopolitan.
– Craig Zablo (April 6, 2002)