Sly’s Hard Times?

On June 13, 2011, Mike Sragow of The Baltimore Sun wrote a piece titled, “A New Sylvester Stallone Film I’m Actually Looking Forward To.”    The movie turns out to be “Bullet to the Head” and here are some of Mr. Sragow’s reasons for anticipating the film…

  • What perked me up was not the plot, but the news that Walter Hill (“48 HRS.,” “The Warriors”) will be directing.
  • No director has displayed keener instincts when it comes to showcasing American men of action — even self-styled icons like Stallone, who don’t usually work with strong directors.
  • Stallone is in his mid-60s. Charles Bronson was in his mid-50s in 1975. That’s when Hill guided him through “Hard Times” and came up with a haunting period adventure that boasts Bronson’s most pungent star turn.

Joel Silver on Board for “Bullet in the Head”

On June 10, 2011, The Hollywood Reporter posted that Joel Silver will produce Sly and Walter Hill’s adaptation of the comic series “Bullet in the Head.”  Here are some excerpts…

  • Joel Silver’s Dark Castle Entertainment has come on board Walter Hill’s upcoming action thriller starring Sylvester Stallone, and the film is now set to be distributed domestically through Warner Bros.
  • Sung Kang, of Fast Five, has been cast in a supporting role in the production, which is set to begin filming in Louisiana later in June.
  • Silver… produced the Stallone movies Demolition Man and Assassins, said, “Sylvester Stallone is an iconic action star the world over and I’m thrilled to be working with him again. I look forward to joining with IM Global and After Dark in bringing this exciting new story to the screen.”

 Other sites reporting the news…

Stallone and Jane, No More?

On May 27, 2011, Quint at AICN reported that Thomas Jane may be out as Sly’s co-star in the Walter Hill directed “Headshot.”  According to Quint

  •  …the studio wants Jane replaced with someone more “ethnic” in order to meet an in-house formula-for-success. The word is that Jane’s still the favorite for Hill and Stallone, but the studio is insistent on getting a minority in the role.

If true, that’s just plain stupid.  Not only do Sly and Jane both look like the characters from the comic series that they’re supposed to play, but Stallone and Jane make for a great on-screen pairing.  Let’s hope that studio suits don’t ruin what was shaping up to be a very, very good movie.

 

 

Walter Hill May Take a Headshot

On April 6, 2011, Deadline reported that Sly was in talks with Walter Hill to take on the directoral regins of “Headshots.” 

  • Stallone said he has had serious meetings with the helmer: “I completely respect Walter’s incredible body of work and hopefully this legendary director will become attached to the project.”

Sly was also quoted as to why Wayne Kramer left the picture:

  • Word was that Kramer exited because he didn’t see eye to eye creatively with Stallone, who’ll star. Said Stallone: “Initially, Mr. Kramer was hired to direct a dark comedy; however his vision was much darker and exceptionally more violent than how the project was originally conceived. It was decided that it would be better for everyone to move on and consequently Mr. Kramer was dismissed by producers earlier this week. There were no volatile clashes, it was simply a professional parting of the ways.”
  • Hollywood.com: Walter Hill to Direct…
  • First Showing: Walter Hill to Direct…
  • IndieWire: Grumpy Old Tough Guys…
  • /Film: Walter Hill May Direct…
  • IGN: Stallone’s Headshot…
  • CinemaBlend: Walter Hill is…

“Headshots” Loses Director

On April 6, 2011, IndieWire reported that director, Wayne Kramer, who was set to direct Sly in “Headshots” is no longer attached to the film.  IndieWire speculated that Kramer may be moving on to “Pretty Boy Floyd” and that Sly may take the directorial reigns of “Headshots” since it has to get started soon.