Sly to Reynolds to Newman

The August 8th issue of Star contains the following item in the STARpeople section:

SYLVESTER STALLONE, 54, and BURT REYNOLDS, 64, are in Toronto filming Champs, a film about aging race-car drivers who go back into the business. They were shooting at the racetrack and throngs of eager women showed up to watch the proceedings. When a reporter remarked to SLY that it was obvious that he’s still popular with the ladies, SLY gallantly remarked, “This time around they’re knocking me over to get to REYNOLDS! In this business, you expect popularity to give way to younger guys – but not to OLDER guys!” Funny thing is, a few minutes later, PAUL NEWMAN, 75, arrived at the track and the female fans pushed EVERYONE aside to get to him!

Stallone Courts Controversy in Comeback Attempt

Posted on Fri, Aug. 01, 2003
Stallone Courts Controversy in Comeback Attempt
By Eric Harrison
Houston Chronicle

Settling in for an interview in an Austin hotel suite recently, Sylvester Stallone bypasses a nearby couch and instead chooses a straight-backed desk chair across the room.

“I’ll get too comfortable if I sit in one of those,” he says.

It seems too easy, this ready-made metaphor, but comfort is a commodity Stallone no longer can afford. A box-office heavyweight in the 1970s and ’80s thanks to his Rocky and Rambo movies, the 57-year-old actor-writer-director has spent the past decade on the ropes. Studios balk at hiring him. Distributors won’t touch his movies.

In this summer of comebacks, Stallone joins Demi Moore and fellow strongman Arnold Schwarzenegger in making bids for continued viability. His is modest: He plays the villain in Spy Kids 3D: Game Over. His real hopes reside in his next project, an ambitious film he calls Thugz Lives, about the murders of rappers Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G. that Stallone wrote and hopes to direct and star in. It’s a risky proposition, unlike anything he’s ever done, with the potential to resuscitate his career or blow up in his face.

It isn’t his first comeback attempt. He tried in 1997, in Cop Land, an intelligent drama about police corruption that co-starred Robert De Niro, Harvey Keitel and Ray Liotta. Stallone spent six weeks gorging on pancakes to gain 40 pounds. His character found a core of courage and became heroic at the end, but for most of the movie he played a mope, looked down on by nearly everyone.

Stallone hoped the role would show that the early promise he displayed as an actor was real, that he could do more than cartoon action heroes. But despite the stellar cast and good reviews, the movie did middling business. Stallone took that as evidence his audience didn’t want to see him flex his acting muscles; they wanted the old familiar Sly, talking tough and cracking heads.

“Nobody wants to see John Wayne perform The Nutcracker, you know,” Stallone says. “He may be the best ballet dancer in the world, but nobody wants to see him like that.”

After Cop Land, things went from bad to worse with a string of flops.

“It can eat you up,” he says of failure. “It just does a number on your self-esteem. The acting part is easy. The hard part of this business is maintaining your equilibrium and confidence. That’s why so many actors get hooked on alcohol and drugs.”

And maintaining that confidence has indeed been hard lately. Shade, the last movie in which he starred, languishes without a distributor. D-Tox (also known as Eye See You) opened on a handful of screens last year, earning $79,000, before going to video. Avenging Angelo, the film before that, never got an American theatrical release.

Driven, Stallone‘s last film to open wide, earned back less than half of its production costs before it vanished from domestic screens in 2001. And the total U.S. gross of Get Carter ($15 million) was less than some major movies make on opening night.

Stallone isn’t the only one who wants to change that run of failure. Robert Rodriguez, the Austin filmmaker who created the Spy Kids franchise, met Stallone in 1997 at the Venice Film Festival. Following the premiere party for Cop Land, they hung out together, and Rodriguez was surprised to see a side of Stallone that rarely came through on film.

“I’d always been a fan of his, but I’d never known how funny he really is,” says Rodriguez, adding sheepishly, “I wondered why his comedies weren’t any good.” Then he realized Stallone was always a hired hand in the comedies, working for other directors from scripts he didn’t write.

“He was always funny in the Rocky movies,” Rodriguez says.

So when it came time to cast the role of the Toymaker, the villain in Spy Kids 3D, he thought of Stallone. For his part, Stallone says he had no choice but to accept. His kids (he has three with his third wife, former model Jennifer Flavin) are big Spy Kids fans.

“I had to do it,” he says. “Otherwise, I’d be disowned by a 6-year-old.

“He had a ball, he says. He loved not being the center of attention, not being the star who has to carry the picture.

Now, as he begins to plan a sixth Rocky film, Stallone is pushing ahead with Thugz Lives. The movie, like a previous documentary and book on the cases, will link the murders of Shakur and Biggie to corruption in the Los Angeles Police Department and to geographical rivalries within the hip-hop record business. Stallone, who hopes to start filming in September, hints there also will be a suggestion of FBI involvement.

“This is like the JFK assassination to the black community,” Stallone says. “And like the JFK assassination, they’ll be battling this out for the next 100 years, trying to figure out what happened.”Which is exactly what Stallone wants: to be back in the middle of a big fight.

Craig Zablo

Murray Postell Draws Rocky Too!

Murray Postell has been a professional cartoonist, illustrator and portrait artist for 50+ years. Mr. Postell‘s pen and ink drawing of the president of RCA was used to initiate the first commercial high-speed, high resolution fax between nations in 1978! Mr. Postell has painted some of the most famous people in the country. A painting that he did of Frank Sinatra was appraised at a price range of $25,000 in 1995!

Mr. Postell currently sells prints and orginal art from his website. Each piece purchased is hand-signed and dated by Mr. Postell. Prices begin at $15.00. All of his work is guaranteed.

If you contact Mr. Postell to buy a print or to simply let him know how much you appreciated him sharing his art, please tell him the STALLONE ZONE sent you!

– Craig Zablo (August 1, 2000)

Sly Would Help

The August 1st issue of STAR contains the picture of SLY (reprinted here) as well as an article about an alleged incident involving SLY.

A woman claims that she was staying at the same hotel as SLY and that during the stay a fire alarm in the hotel sounded. The woman claims that as she was struggling to get her children down the stairs, SLY came down the stairs and went past her and the children without offering to assist her.

A representative of SLY denies the story and is quoted as saying: “Of course he (SLY) would have helped a woman in danger.”

Pics From the Filming of “Get Carter”

Sly and “Get Carter” director Stephen Kay. © Warner Bros.

 Sly and Alan Cumming. © Warner Bros.

 

Vesa Miettinen from Finland sent in the three pictures posted above.  Several websites have published the poster and the second of the two pics but the first pic, to my knowledge is premiering at the SZ!
Vesa, thanks for taking the time to email the pictures!

best,

– Craig Zablo

[July 31, 2000]

Sly’s Sneer

 

 

The picture to the left appears in the July 25, 2000 issue of The National Enquirer with the following caption: “SLY STALLONE looks like he’s snarling… but he’s really in character for his tough-guy role in the movie ‘Get Carter.'”


– Craig Zablo

Maybe Sly’s Shy?

 

The July 24, 2000 issue of US Weekly contains the following item in the US Hot Stuff column by Marcus Baram and Marc S. Malkin:

Maybe Sly’s Shy?

SYLVESTER STALLONE hasn’t had a hit in years, but he still acts like a superstar. Extras on his upcoming movie, Get Carter, complain they were instructed not to make eye contact with him, a source tells Hot Stuff. “We were told by [assistant directors] never to look at him or in his direction,” one bit player gripes. This isn’t the first time that we’ve heard about STALLONE‘s less-than-democratic tendencies. Five ex-employees sued the actor and his wife, JENNIFER FLAVIN, in November, alleging they were unjustly fired for violating the couple’s rules, which apparently required staffers to back silently out of a room as soon as STALLONE entered. SLY and FLAVIN countersued, accusing the workers of slander and false-light invasion of privacy. (The cases are still pending.) STALLONE‘s rep insists the actor has never had a no-look policy.
——————————————————————————–

While the picture that appears with this item is pretty cool, I’d file the rest of it as “tabloid news.” One un-named source identified as a griping bit player? Puh-lease.

-Craig Zablo

 

Burt Reynolds in “Champs”

Archerd: Burt Reynolds disabled
By Army Archerd, Daily Variety Senior Columnist

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) – BURT REYNOLDS is in a wheelchair for his entire role in “Champs” for WB. He plays a racecar-team owner, injured in a race. He says, “I’m the slowest in the fastest sport in the world.”

Director RENNY HARLIN says he has the added challenge of directing two helmers who star in the pic: SYLVESTER STALLONE and REYNOLDS. STALLONE also scripted and is a producer along with HARLIN and ELIE SAMAHA.

HARLIN admits JOHN FRANKENHEIMER’s 1966 ``Grand Prix” was a classic car-racing pic, and he spoke to FRANKENHEIMER for advice before starting.

HARLIN said, “I’m going to try not to embarrass myself. I’m trying to make the ‘Matrix’ of race car movies.”

He says today’s technology will make it possible to convert the film to life like no other. F’rinstance, a periscope camera that sees exactly what the driver sees, from steering wheel onward, and digitally-created car crashes impossible for even the most daring of stunt drivers.

Toronto allowed “Champs” to use its inner city race route; in fact, HARLIN was talking to me between takes from the track, in the middle of the city. Toronto is very happy to cooperate with film companies (especially one budgeted at $70 million). “Champs” is only one of several U.S. companies currently filming up there. HARLIN says hotels and restaurants are filled with Hollywood filmmakers.

HARLIN wants us to know that STALLONE has fine-tuned this script, as he had “Rocky.” For many years, SLY‘s told me of his ambition to make a race car film. And yes, STALLONE drives (180 mph) on camera. But HARLIN claims, just as “Rocky” was not about boxing, “Champs” is not about car racing; it’s a drama about people who are driven (you should pardon the expression).

In addition to STALLONE and REYNOLDS, the ensemble piece stars TIL SCHWEIGER, KIP PARDUE, ROBERT SEAN LEONARD, STACY EDWARDS, GINA GERSHON and CHRISTIAN de la FEUNTE — and young model ESTELLE WARREN who was spotted by HARLIN on GQ‘s May (un)cover, which proclaimed her “The Next Big Thing.” HARLIN agrees.

Craig Zablo

Maybe They Call It “Rocky Road”

STALLONE RACING MOVIE GETS STARTED
by MIKE HARRIS
AP MOTORSPORTS WRITER
JULY 14, 2000

TORONTO (AP) — Maybe they can call it “Rocky Road.”

SYLVESTER STALLONE, who portrayed underdog Rocky Balboa in a series of popular movies, is now hoping the same magic that worked for boxing can be translated to Champ cars.

SLY, whose original idea of a movie about Formula one never came to fruition, has written a script and put together an independent deal to make a movie tentatively titled “Driven.” He will also produce the movie, which is scheduled to be released in the summer of 2001.

The story will revolve around STALLONE‘s character, an aging racing star, being brought back to mentor a budding star [KIP PARDUE]. BURT REYNOLDS will play a cantankerous team owner, while ESTELLA WARREN will be STALLONE‘s love interest.

Some initial scene-setting filming was done earlier this year during the race weekend in Long Beach, Calif., but the action is almost nonstop this week in Toronto as Championship Auto Racing Teams puts on its 11th Molson Indy.

RENNY HARLIN, who directed STALLONE in his last big hit, “Cliffhanger,” in 1993, will also direct this project.

HARLIN said the Rocky film saga parallels “Driven” in many ways.

Rocky wasn’t a movie about boxing and this won’t be a movie about cars going around the track,” he said. “It won’t be a documentary, but since we followed racing all our lives, we don’t want to take liberties with things that could never happen.”

During a press conference to introduce the cast, Reynolds got the biggest laugh.

Asked why STALLONE sought him out for the role of the team owner, Reynolds said: “BURGESS MEREDITH was dead.”

MEREDITH played STALLONE‘s crusty trainer-manager in three “Rocky” films.

The rest of the cast includes GINA GERSHON, ROBERT SEAN LEONARD, STACY EDWARDS, TIL SCHWEIGER, CRISTIAN de la FUENTE and BRENT BRISCOE. Several current CART stars including MICHAEL ANDRETTI, JUAN MONTOYA and DAN FRANCHITTI will also have cameo roles.


Craig Zablo